Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The One on Mr KK (Part 1)

When anyone asks me about my first gay encounter, I would have told them about the one during my secondary school days with my classmate. Well the truth is that there was someone else...

It was a chilling yet refreshing early Genting morning (about 6.30am), the leaves on the tree had visible dews which was a rare sight for those living in Singapore. A few of us were gathering in a waiting to start our morning prayer session, we were talking to one another about last night's sermon while waiting for the cell group leader to arrive.

Just as we were getting engrossed talking about the upcoming video game that's gonna be release by Christmas, someone arrived at the room. His presence was unmistakable, almost as tall as the door, KK spots a face so handsome and gentlemanly with a thin metal framed spectacles, his build is huggably burly, just like a gigantic Pooh bear which I soon realized it was his favorite cartoon character.

I instantly recognized him - exactly one year ago at the same event I almost had the chance to know him but instead I was shy and stranger to the whole contingent, I was still a stranger one year later. But this time round I got to know a friend (T) who happened to be my brother's schoolmate, so in some ways I was eased into the group.

T: KK, this's STB from Singapore, his brother was my schoolmate. 

KK: Nice to meet you STB, I'm KK.

STB almost fainted at that point, luckily he could muster all his courage to mutter back some greeting to KK to make himself seem less anxious.

STB: Oh I remember you: last year you were giving a talk on Creation vs Evolution.

The group of us spent the whole morning in prayer and worship. I couldn't help but noticed that KK had a husky voice that some aspiring male DJ would dream of, every word was pronounced with diction, without any hint of his nationality and most importantly it was natural and deep. So far he sounded as good as he looked.

When we were back to our hometown, feeling empowered and refreshed. The group invited me to join them in their regular soccer and makan session. I thought to myself why not since I do not have much friends in my hometown and as birds of the same feather flock together, at that point of time I liked to hang out with them just as much as I like to hang out with my PLU friends currently.

As Christmas drew near, the festive mood was felt for the first time by STB as prior to that he was not exposed to the joy of Christmas parties. His family did not celebrate it and to him it was not even a holiday since the whole of November and December was holiday for him anyway.

STB followed his new-found friends for Christmas shoppings and late night suppers, as these guys were "cultivated" to make strangers feel welcomed, STB did not feel left out at all though he barely knew them for over a month. Occasionally, KK would appear for dinner or supper after he knocked off, and over time STB got the chance to talk to him more and more. KK was easily the most lovable character in the group and everybody sort of looked up to him.

As the group went for a mission trip few weeks back, they were busy coming up with a presentation video for the mission trip thanksgiving ceremony. STB was somehow enrolled into the production team due to his knowledge in IT skills. KK was also involved so all the more STB did not decline the invitation.

to be continued...

No comments: